So, after 3 months or so of doing squat all on here I’m back. It’s been a busy 3 months too. What’s happened? Well….
- I’m unemployed – obviously this is a bit of a downer so I’ll get it out of the way first and not dwell on it!
- Underlord is complete! – Not entirely true, not even close to true, I’ll post on it’s status at some point in the near future
- The Retro Remakes Competition 2008 has finished and the judging has been judged. No official announcement concerning the winner has been made yet due to other matters but it’ll be soon…
- Retro Remakes was hacked. Badly hacked. Actually, incredibly well hacked. Oddbob has worked his arse off over the last few weeks to get some semblance of normality back to the site. He’s got new forums up and running and there’s a temporary front page. I gather he’s working on restoring the hosted sites at the moment. This has caused a huge postponement in the announcement of the competition results.
- The Ripon Charity Pantomime has been and gone. For those of you who don’t know, both my eldest daughter Kim and I are both involved in the panto (along with a lot of very good friends – Wochamate John, Gina, Et al) and, for the second year running I managed to bluff my way into another principal slot. I’ll get a full report up at some point, hopefully before next year’s panto…..
- My Facebook activity is going up and down like an uppy-downy thing. I need more friends so add me!.
- I’ve started and abandoned about a half dozen games, some have actually had code written and one has even had a map created which meant completely rewriting the map editor I made for Underlord. This is a GOODTHING.COM as there was at least one good thing to come out of the whole WIP > RIP process. The games I have ditched are as follows..
- The Wild Bunch
- Everyone’s a Wally
- Bards Tale 2
- Action Biker (ZX Spec version)
- I’ve been offered the graphics for one of my favorite shooters, Cyberun. This will most likely be my new WIP though I’ve not actually done anything on it as of yet (I’m waiting to see how many sprites I’ve got, sizes, etc).
I’m sure there’s been other stuff happen but it will have to wait till I remember it.
I’ve got things to do now, I need to get my 3 completed games up on this here site somehow as I just noticed today that there are absolutly no links on the web for any of then (how HAVE you been coping?)
I’ve been around on this super-sized sphere of sh!t for many a year now, and I’ve seen a few things, I really have. Thing is, I’ve always wanted to talk about what I’ve seen and done. I’ve never been one to keep my feelings to myself on matters concerning the world at large, or my large part of the world, or anyone elses less significant parts of the world, or…. You get my drift, I’m sure.
I’m not a prollific writer. Not by anyone’s standard, not prollific at all, but I have never had an issue with written communication. I write for work, I write for pleasure and, for the last year I’ve been writing for an online community.
And this is where the problem lies. Not with work, that’s another thing altogether… Not with pleasure and not with the magical world that is the internet and in particular not the bit that hangs around the retroremakes part of the internet. The problem is with the writing.
Never before has the desire to sit down in front of my PC and tap away until something at least barely legible has appeared on the screen before me, been further away. It’s not the subject matter I’m having problems with. It’s affecting everything I love to write or write about. Gaming, coding, life, the kids, the wife, even ME! It’s a classic case of bloody writers block and I’m not happy about it.
So, I need to get on my backside and start sorting my life out! Well, the bit of my life involving the writting of things to be written.
And it starts here!
I hate servers.
I work with the bloody things all day. Keep them ticking over nicely, I do, no probs.
So, why the hatred? Because my home server died this evening and I really CAN’T be bothered to do anything about it. Lazy, I know, but I really can’t
Tomorrow night I guess is rebuild night.
I’ve spent the last couple of weeks on and off trying to ‘slimline’ Underlord.
Now, what I write here is going to shock those of you that have been writing games for a while. Shock you and probably make you collapse laughing. Please, however, bear in mind a couple of things…
1) I’ve been coding games for only a year.
2) Underlord is my first scroller and only my 3rd game.
3) I’ve got absolutly no idea what I’m doing until I try something.
Are you sitting down? Good………
Well, I’ve been considering writing this for the last couple of weeks, but there you go, it sums me up good and propper, putting things off.
Grym Jim has, possibly not unexpectedly, come to it’s premature end, shuffled off it’s mortal coil, gone to see the great game maker in the sky and, finaly, been resigned to the coding graveyard known as the ‘abandoned pile’.
It would appear, due to no-one elses fault but my own, that ‘Slightly Less Than Average’ has been down for the past 13 days (20 hours, 29 minutes).
I’ll not let it happen again. Carry on, nothing to see here!
Yup, that’s what I’m working on right now…..
GrymJim is to have randomly generated enemies. Why? Laziness mostly, but also to see what it’s like. I like the idea of a random element to to Jim’s quest to mix things up a little.
Just a quicky to say that Underlord is still ongoing, though on the proverbial backburner with Grym Jim heading the charge. It’s been 8 months or so of Magic Knightness, a project I laughingly considered to be a 3 monther and I need a breather from it.
Well, work has started in earnest on game IV.
Grym Jim is a simple concept, the story runs thusly……
”T’was a dark and stormy eve when Death himself appeared at Jim’s door. Clad in black robe with scythe in bone’d hand He sucked the life from poor Jim’s mortal body….. Our Jim wasn’t having ANY of this.”
Not the greatest start in the world is it?
It’s been, let’s see…. almost a month now and, apart from one feeble attempt at a post (which failed miserably), nothing. Bad habits, it seems, die hard.
I guess I need to make an effort at this else it’s not gonna work is it?
So, let’s push the big letter ‘R’ and retry.